Skip to content

Employee Wellness in 2022 – Trends to Watch

Employee wellness has always been a primary concern for employers, and never more than over the past two years as the pandemic has challenged all of us in many ways. With this renewed focus on the general well-being of team members, wellness initiatives are expected to grow in 2022. Here’s a look at trends to watch for:

Mental Health

Stress and anxiety have been constant companions for many as we’ve navigated the ever-changing waters of COVID-19. The shift to remote work, the need to balance work and home schooling for kids who can’t attend school in person, and changing workplace policies and responsibilities are all common contributors.

A full 87% of employees reported feeling nervous, anxious or stressed working through a pandemic (and we think the other 13% were perhaps not being truthful), and nearly that many say they find mental health benefits critical when looking for a new position.

The good news is that these widespread issues have resulted in both a willingness to discuss them more openly and new efforts by employers to address them. Those efforts can range from renewed emphasis on providing an environment that fosters employee recognition and a sense of belonging (two factors often cited by those reporting poor mental health on the job) to more traditional benefits like expanded employee assistance programs (EAPs).

Health Equity

The pandemic also shone a bright light on disparities in availability of health care as they related to underlying social and economic conditions. More employers will focus on making sure all employees have access to the health care they need to achieve their best health, working to make healthcare both more affordable and more accessible.

Work-Life Balance

This certainly ties back to the mental health topic above, as many team members struggle with work-life balance in the hybrid work environment. Blurred boundaries between work and home have contributed to burnout and other mental health issues, and even decreases in physical health. Employers will find new ways to offer robust resources in an effort to combat this trend, from more flexible work hours (especially important to parents of school-age children) to additional time off simply to recharge.

Financial Wellness

Money is a perennial source of stress, with 73% of Americans reporting it as their top stressor, a situation that again has been amplified by the pandemic. Even more challenging, many companies have a multigenerational workforce, and the specifics of those financial concerns tend to change significantly from one generation to another.

Employers are well-positioned to support their workers in their financial wellness. Look for more programs offering financial guidance and educational resources across a wide variety of financial topics.

Questions about employee wellness and how it relates to your benefits package? Contact Consolidated Insurance.

Skip to content