National Safe Boating Week is May 21 – 27, 2022. This is a good time to review some basic safe boating practices and bring awareness to all who enjoy the water. The following are a few bullet points to keep in mind:
- Do not drink and operate a boat. According to the National Safe Boating Council, boating under the influence is the cause of one-third of all recreational boating fatalities.
- Have an adequate number of life jackets. Always have a life jacket for each person who is on your boat.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Other boaters may not be! Be on the lookout for possible safety hazards.
- Turn off the engine before anyone exits from your boat. Use the engine cut-off device on your boat – it’s for everyone’s safety and it’s also the law!
- Check the weather before you leave and throughout the day. If a storm is looming, head to shore.
- Inspect your boat prior to leaving the dock. Do a once-over looking for any issues that could create a safety hazard; check the gas; confirm the engine is running properly.
And of course, be sure that your boat and personal watercraft are all properly insured. Please contact Consolidated Insurance + Risk Management for coverage questions or to get a quote.